Friday, February 03, 2006

Desperation!

Psalm 63:1-8
God--you're my God! I can't get enough of you!
I've worked up such hunger and thirst for God,
traveling across dry and weary deserts.

So here I am in the place of worship, eyes open,
drinking in your strength and glory.
In your generous love I am really living at last!
My lips brim praises like fountains.
I bless you every time I take a breath;
My arms wave like banners of praise to you.

I eat my fill of prime rib and gravy;
I smack my lips. It's time to shout praises!
If I'm sleepless at midnight,
I spend the hours in grateful reflection.
Because you've always stood up for me,
I'm free to run and play.
I hold on to you for dear life,
and you hold me steady as a post.

Have you ever thought of holding hands with God?

Song of Solomon 3:1-4
Restless in bed and sleepless through the night, I longed for my lover.
I wanted him desperately. His absence was painful.
So I got up, went out and roved the city,
hunting through streets and down alleys.
I wanted my lover in the worst way!
I looked high and low, and didn't find him.
And then the night watchmen found me
as they patrolled the darkened city.
"Have you seen my dear lost love?" I asked.
No sooner had I left them than I found him,
found my dear lost love.
I threw my arms around him and held him tight,
wouldn't let him go until I had him home again,
safe at home beside the fire.

God’s love is intense for His people. When we spurn him, scripture goes so far as to call it “adultery”, as in the book of Hosea.

God desperately wants us to experience His love. He longs for spiritual intimacy with us. Our following after Jesus is more of intimacy than granting mental assent to certain propositions about who God is (or isn’t!). Do we give chocolate brains or chocolate hearts to our lover on Valentine's Day?

Deuteronomy 6:5
Love GOD, your God, with your whole heart: love him with all that's in you, love him with all you've got!

Live desperate for God! Love desperate for God!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home