Thursday, May 25, 2006

Between Denial and Despair

Many people today swing back and forth between denial and despair.

Events along the journey of life leaves scars and wounds and questions like, "Why did God allow this to happen? If God is so good, couldn’t this event that has caused me so much pain have been stopped?"

These questions and troubling events in our lives force us to choose between a life of debilitaing fear and suspicion or a life of trust.

Authentic trust in God often takes time to develop and people need faithful friends to walk that difficult road with them. One of the first steps for you on the journey to authentic trust is to share your spiritual struggles in a safe environment among firends who believe in you. In allowing others to share their painful journey with us we help create an environment for healing.

Is God asking you to open up to some trusted friends? Are you able to create some listening space for a person in pain?

We have the opportunity to offer the hope of Christ and his reorienting power that helps us move out of the paralysis caused by denial and despair and walk—or sometimes crawl—in the full and abundant life God promises.

Lamentations 3:19-23
The thought of my suffering and homelessness is bitter beyond words. I will never forget this awful time, as I grieve over my loss. Yet I still dare to hope when I remember this: The faithful love of the LORD never ends! His mercies never cease. Great is his faithfulness; his mercies begin afresh each morning.

To Rescue Me
When I can’t hold on much longer
To a rope weathered and frayed
When I can’t find hope and I’m losing faith

The savior reaches in
To still the howling wind
To calm the storm within
To rescue me

When I think I might surrender
To the vengeance of the tide
When I’m lost in sin and I don’t see light

The savior reaches low
Under the torrid flow
To save my sinking soul
And rescue me

The savior calls my name
When I feel most ashamed
He comes to take the blame
And rescue me
To rescue me

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home