Thursday, June 19, 2008

It's payback time!



In late May at a Georgia High School Baseball Championship game, the pitcher & catcher conspired to bean the umpire! Frustrated by the umpires calling of balls and strikes, they took matters into their own hands. As an old catcher, I've never seen anything like it before.

I recall doing something stupid in the heat of the moment- trailing badly while playing the Dukes of Sherwood Park (I think the final was 24-3), another run was about to cross the plate & I faked that a throw was coming. The runner wasn't amused & truth be told I was completely embarrassed that I did that. These guys went way over even that foolish act of mine & it may cost them a scholarship!

Bean the Ump

How are you doing during your 'heat of the battle' moments? What is being exposed in your heart?

Romans 12:19
Don't hit back; discover beauty in everyone. If you've got it in you, get along with everybody. Don't insist on getting even; that's not for you to do. "I'll do the judging," says God. "I'll take care of it."

Matthew 5:43-48
"You're familiar with the old written law, 'Love your friend,' and its unwritten companion, 'Hate your enemy.' I'm challenging that. I'm telling you to love your enemies. Let them bring out the best in you, not the worst. When someone gives you a hard time, respond with the energies of prayer, for then you are working out of your true selves, your God-created selves. This is what God does. He gives his best—the sun to warm and the rain to nourish—to everyone, regardless: the good and bad, the nice and nasty. If all you do is love the lovable, do you expect a bonus? Anybody can do that. If you simply say hello to those who greet you, do you expect a medal? Any run-of-the-mill sinner does that.

"In a word, what I'm saying is, Grow up. You're kingdom subjects. Now live like it. Live out your God-created identity. Live generously and graciously toward others, the way God lives toward you."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home