Thursday, November 24, 2005

Who Do You Trust?

"God, are you strong enough to heal my patterns of self-drestruction?"

"God, do you always have my best interests at heart?"

"God, are you able to take care of me if I live without a mask, if I walk around with no devices for self-protection?"

"God, are you able to vindicate me if I do not vindicate myself?"

"God, are you able to deal with my sin if I make the decision to turn away from my willpower to trusting in your willpower?"

"God, are you able to protect me when I disclose the truth and am vulnerable to others knowing what is really real about me?"

These and a myriad of other questions that surge deep within our hearts are a doorway of growth in our spiritual life. If and when we get trapped in shame, blame or anger, we stop maturing. When we stop maturing, we lose the ability to say "yes" to the questions above.

It simply hurts too much to trust God when we're frozen in our misery. If and when we stop growing our dreams begin to atrophy and ultimately die. They become a hollow reality that is better suited to a fantasy comic book than a vision of where our life is going.

Very often our relational sadness, our inability to be loved, our festering wounds and broken relationships freeze us in the past and in immaturity. While it is true that Jesus loves children, the reason is his value on innocence and not immaturity.

Children often have an innocent faith and trust in Jesus. Theological concepts are experienced as personal realities. To a child, trust isn't an idea, it is a reality meant to be lived. "Throw me into the air, daddy!" is the request of my four-year-old son because he trusts that I'll catch him. Do you trust that God will catch you while you're twisting and turning in the air?

Matthew 18:3
“Unless you change and become like little children you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.”

Ken Gire has asked, "What dream is God dreaming when He dreams about you and me, and how can we help that dream come true?"

The first step is to trust Him.

Hebrews 4:14
That is why we have a great High Priest who has gone to heaven, Jesus the Son of God. Let us cling to him and never stop trusting him.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home