Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Closing The Gap

Consider the following questions throughout the day,

What words do I hope other people, or a particular person, would use to describe me?

What behaviors have I displayed so that this person is likely to use these words?

What words would this person actually use to describe me?

How close are the words I'd hope this person would use to the words he or she would actually use?

What must I do to bring the descriptions closer together? (This deals with the issue of "personal control" or assuming responsibility for our own behaviors.)

Would I want anyone to say or do to me what I have just said or done to this other person?

Whenever I say or do something to another person what do I want to accomplish?

Am I saying or doing it in a way in which this other person feels respected and can truly hear what I have to say and respond in a constructive way? (Many people can articulate what they desire to accomplish, but all-too-often they express themselves in a manner in which other people become defensive, resentful, and angry, thereby losing sight of the key message being conveyed. These self-destructive behaviors are crucial to ongoing character growth.)

Proverbs 12:1
To learn, you must love discipline; it is stupid to hate correction.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home