Thursday, July 13, 2006

A Dream Come True

On Sunday, my ten-year-old son was returning from a week in San Francisco. As we gathered as a family at the airport, I was very excited to see him. He'd had a great time and our house had been quieter, but all-in-all, it was time for a teary reunion.

As he came into view, head bobbing over a rail, I felt my heart swell with emotion. As I made eye contact, his face flushed red and a huge smile erupted.

We ran to each other and I gave him a crushing "I love you so much" hug, which was reciprocated. My son was home. Later that evening, when asked who he missed, he said "my mom and dad."

When asked what he missed about his dad he added, "His cuddles and his encouragement." Wow. I would have given him the car keys if he'd have asked. (That would have been a problem; he's only 10!)

The feeling of returning home, of coming back to the fold is a God-given joy. God has always welcomed back His people, and the images Jesus shares with us are of a dad who runs shamelessly to his returning wayward son.

Luke 15:20-24
While he was still a long way off, his father saw him coming. Filled with love and compassion, he ran to his son, embraced him, and kissed him... "His father said to the servants, `Quick! Bring the finest robe in the house and put it on him. Get a ring for his finger and sandals for his feet. And kill the calf we have been fattening. We must celebrate with a feast, for this son of mine was dead and has now returned to life. He was lost, but now he is found.' So the party began.

On Sunday afternoon, we had a party, too!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home