Thursday, October 12, 2006

It's Good To Be Alive

The World Series is right around the corner. There are so many stories of courage, persistence and resilience in baseball throughout the years, but perhaps none is as powerful as that of Roy Campanella.

Campy starred as a catcher for the LA Dodgers from 1948-1957. He was a three-time MVP in the National League, but in 1958 he was paralyzed in a car accident. His autobiography, “It's Good to be Alive”, contains the following quote:

I asked God for strength that I might achieve.
I was made weak, that I might learn humbly to obey.
I asked for health, that I might do great things.
I was given infirmity, that I might do better things.
I asked for riches, that I might be happy.
I was given poverty, that I might be wise.
I asked for power, that I might have the praise of men.
I was given weakness, that I might feel the need of God.
I asked for all things, that I might enjoy life.
I was given life, that I might enjoy all things.
I got nothing I asked for — but everything I had hoped for.
Almost despite myself, my unspoken prayers were answered.
I am, among men, most richly blessed.

Roy Campanella was able to live these words because he saw meaning in suffering. Whatever your circumstances, and I know that there are some of you in mighty deep waters right now, God can keep you.

2 Corinthians 12:8-10
I was given the gift of a handicap to keep me in constant touch with my limitations. Satan's angel did his best to get me down; what he in fact did was push me to my knees. No danger then of walking around high and mighty! At first I didn't think of it as a gift, and begged God to remove it. Three times I did that, and then he told me,

My grace is enough; it's all you need.

My strength comes into its own in your weakness.

Once I heard that, I was glad to let it happen. I quit focusing on the handicap and began appreciating the gift. It was a case of Christ's strength moving in on my weakness. Now I take limitations in stride, and with good cheer, these limitations that cut me down to size—abuse, accidents, opposition, bad breaks. I just let Christ take over! And so the weaker I get, the stronger I become.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home