Wednesday, January 16, 2008

What Am I Doing In This Pit?

Two frogs fell into a can of cream, or so I've heard it told.
The sides of the can were shiny and steep, the cream was deep and cold.
"Oh, what's the use?" said No.1, "tis fate - no help's around -
"Goodbye, my frog-friend! Goodbye sad world!" and weeping still he drowned.
But Number two, of sterner stuff, dog-paddled in surprise.
Then while he wiped his creamy face and dried his creamy eyes,
"I'll swim awhile at least," he said, "and try to keep my head.
"It wouldn't really help the world if one more frog was dead."
An hour or two he kicked and swam. Not once he stopped to mutter.
But kicked and swam and swam and kicked then hopped out, via ... butter!
1 Peter 1:6b-9
...now for a little while you may have had to suffer grief in all kinds of trials. These have come so that your faith—of greater worth than gold, which perishes even though refined by fire—may be proved genuine and may result in praise, glory and honor when Jesus Christ is revealed. Though you have not seen him, you love him; and even though you do not see him now, you believe in him and are filled with an inexpressible and glorious joy, for you are receiving the goal of your faith, the salvation of your souls.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Agreed.

Still leaves about as much encouragement as "In this world you will have troubles but Be Of Good Cheer for I have overcome the world"

Understanding and accepting the circumstances do not remove them or encorage us while we are in them unfortunately.

3:28 PM  
Blogger Stew Carson said...

Normally I don't allow posts from anonymous sources but I feel for your sense of hopelessness.

The 1 Peter reading (also in 4:12-19) & Psalm 23 (below) are meant to be a lived reality for us as Christ followers. Perhaps looking for the times of consolation & desolation (see January 13) may help give some perspective to what you are facing.

Psalm 23
A psalm of David.
The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not be in want.

He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters, he restores my soul.

He guides me in paths of righteousness for his name's sake.

Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.

You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies.

You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows.

Surely goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever.

4:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home