Monday, May 12, 2008

Acts for Mother’s Day: With God’s Help We’ll Change The World!

Acts is all about signposts of love on the Way to God

They are signposts of a love that seems too crazy to be true; a love that has come to fruition in Jesus Christ & Acts is the record of that love getting feet and coming to all ends of the world & to all people’s, you & I included!

It has been said that a mother confers our primary source of love upon us in our early years. This love is such bedrock, yet so taken for granted, rarely acknowledged in our self-focused society. “Hi mom” gets airplay by an athlete during a commercial break, but that’s about it.

Who are your heroes? Who or what do you want to become?

“My flame may be small, but it is real.” AW Tozer

Ben Carson & his mom. “Through a mother's love and guidance and his own hard work, Dr. Carson went from the bottom of the class to the top, becoming the youngest Chief of Pediatric Neurosurgery at Johns Hopkins University Hospital.”

"I not only saw and felt the difference my mother made in my life, I am still living out that difference as a man.” Dr. Ben Carson

My lack of memories at our low rent townhouse- because my mom worked 2 jobs!

Jeremiah 9:23-24
God's Message: "Don't let the wise brag of their wisdom. Don't let heroes brag of their exploits. Don’t let the rich brag of their riches. If you brag, brag of this and this only:That you understand and know me. I'm God, and I act in loyal love. I do what's right and set things right and fair, and delight in those who do the same things. These are my trademarks."

God’s loyal love. Sounds like a mother’s love, too.

I saw a young mom, up close and personal, laying it down for her son. This is what mothers do. This is part of the maternal instinct that God imprinted in the souls of women. Bill Hybels, speaking of watching his now grown up daughter tend to own son

Jesus recognized those who were considered ‘unnoticeable’: the broken, the hurting, and women, who were largely ignored by a male dominated society. He particularized them.

Recall his numerous interactions, such as with a Samaritan woman who was an outcast in her own society; an unclean woman along with so many other instances.

In the days of Jesus women didn’t have glass ceilings like is sometimes spoken of in today’s business world; they were chained to the floor!

Most of the time we see Jesus operating outside official sacred space, which is very telling. He does most of his work on the streets, in private homes, and in the countryside. He is comfortable with body contact with people in general and women in particular, with dead bodies, with sick bodies, with public and private sinners, with lepers, and with the ritually impure. Richard Rohr

The early church picked this up. We’ve looked at Peter & James & the beggar in Acts 3. In Acts 6 the group appoints people to ensure that the widows don’t become overlooked!

Acts 8:3
And Saul just went wild, devastating the church, entering house after house after house, dragging men and women off to jail.

These women (and men) were the beating heart of the people of God.

Acts 9:36-43
Tabitha (also known as the Gazelle)- She was well known for doing good and helping out.

I’m struck by that almost reads as a mother’s job description!

"Learn to do your best and God will do the rest." Sonya Carson, Ben’s mom

“They showed Peter pieces of clothing the Gazelle had made while she was with them.”

There is no such thing as a small errand in the Kingdom of God. There is no such thing as a small role in the Kingdom either!

Tabitha, the gazelle, was raised from the dead, basically recommissioned- “Your work is not done!”

All you women, the widows, the elderly, the married, the unmarried, the younger and even to all of us men, too, our work isn’t done!

I was thirty-nine years old when I walked into my counselor’s office and said, “I’ve been working so hard to keep everybody else happy, but I’m so miserable I want to die.” I spent the decade of my forties digging out of that hole. Now, nearly midway through my fifties, I’ve discovered that growing up is an ongoing process—I have not yet arrived. Lynne Hybels

While God is still working inside of us, we are still to be a part of building His kingdom. Our work isn’t done.

A mom is a missionary. A Christ follower is a missionary. You are a missionary. Don’t like that word? No problem. Does a mom ever stop being a mom? No!

Built into our identity as a Christ follower is the fact that we are on a mission; we are given a group- a new family to be a part of while we work together on the mission we are sent for. You are sent. I have been sent. When we realize that we have been sent by the God of all the universe, we will begin to know that we are dangerous enough to change the world, one little life at a time!

MOTHER – THE IMAGE OF GOD IN PSALM 23 by Glen S. R. Carlson

A mother is a shepherd to her children.

1. My mother is God’s Shepherd in my life. She is always willing to listen when I am in need.

2. When my mother puts me to bed at night, she lies down beside me. We talk about the beauties of life. In our imagination we walk together beside the green meadows and discover the magic of being together. A peace and confidence comes on me as we walk and talk about the different streams and experiences of life.

3. Whenever I am sick, my mother feels my pain. She goes the extra mile to see that I am taken care of. My mother helps me to make right decisions. I would do nothing to bring dishonor to my mother, the person I love and respect dearly.

4. There are times when things do not go so well for me. It is like a death experience. I know I can always turn to my mother. She seems to remove my fear. She is always there, guiding, protecting, and yes, even disciplining and correcting me when I need it.

5. Whenever I come home, my mother always has the table set to feed me. She does this even when she knows I am dabbling in things that will eventually hurt me. How does she know? I am amazed at my mother’s insights and intuition. When I come home from school or work she welcomes me every time as an honored guest. It makes me feel so good. With her arms open and a look of joy on her face she marches forward. I am anointed as my mother wraps her arms around me. I know I am being blessed by her.

6. Because of my mother’s goodness and unfailing love upon me it becomes my greatest desire to pass this same blessing on to my family. This is like living in her presence and the presence of my Lord all the days of my life. Thank you Mom for being my shepherd.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home