Saturday, February 28, 2009

Do you have a Shack? Mine is in Edmonton

My friend Randal Rauser, theology professor from Taylor Seminary has a new book out on The Shack called Finding God in the Shack. He will be at Blessings Christian Marketplace (9058 51 Avenue NW) today from 10:30-4:30- so drop by, have a look and say hello.

Here is Eugene Peterson’s kind thoughts on Finding God in the Shack:

‘Before you have read a dozen pages you will know why we need to keep company with theologians. They help us keep our conversations on God intelligent, informed and irenic.’ Eugene Peterson

I love The Shack. God has used it in my own life & in many others that I know. Papa shows up in unexpected places & unexpected ways, especially in our pain (our own shack). Jesus once said to Nicodemus the Pharisee- "You know well enough how the wind blows this way and that. You hear it rustling through the trees, but you have no idea where it comes from or where it's headed next. That's the way it is with everyone 'born from above' by the wind of God, the Spirit of God."

Randal's book will be the second this year with the title Finding God in the Shack (Roger Olson having the other one). Both books are sympathetic with Paul Young's writings and spiritual journey.

There is on the other hand a whole group of folks who are writing more along the lines of Protecting God From The Shack!, having been outraged & offended by what Paul Young has penned. Seems to me that was what the Pharisaical experience was with Jesus.

Paul Young was recently in Edmonton for Breakforth & is actually back for three days in March so make sure to check out one of these opportunities:

The Shack in Edmonton

March 10,2009
*The Park Church, Sherwood Park: Pastors and Leaders Breakfast
*Chapters Book Store, West Edmonton Mall: Book signing
*Taylor University/College/Seminary: Faculty/Student Forum at Beulah Alliance (inviting educational institutions from Edmonton area)

March 11,2009
*West End Prison for Women
*Fantasyland Hotel : Men and Women’s Event

March 12,2009
*Lunch for staff/volunteers within the inner-city and the homeless
*School Assembly: host SCA in Sherwood Park inviting schools in area
*Festival Place: Women’s Dessert Evening

Here’s a quick personal story from Karen Braun about The Shack.

While I lived in Mission I had a hairdresser for years in Abbotsford. I lived to be Jesus with skin on for her and had numerous opportunities to shared God’s love in a variety of way –even prayed with her a couple of occasions. One of the last times I saw her before moving she asked me if I had read the book The Shack and she went on to say how someone gave it to her and this was the first time it was beginning to make sense how God could love her even though I had been telling her this all along. You see, she had a complicated life, six children many fathers a few husbands and new boyfriends. Paul Young’s book unpacked the gospel for her in a unique way that met her where she was at!

SO… if you have friends in the area who need Christ – it is worth taking them! Please feel free to pass this on to others in the Edmonton area!
Karen Braun

John 16:21-28
"When a woman gives birth, she has a hard time, there's no getting around it. But when the baby is born, there is joy in the birth. This new life in the world wipes out memory of the pain. The sadness you have right now is similar to that pain, but the coming joy is also similar. When I see you again, you'll be full of joy, and it will be a joy no one can rob from you. You'll no longer be so full of questions.

"This is what I want you to do: Ask the Father for whatever is in keeping with the things I've revealed to you. Ask in my name, according to my will, and he'll most certainly give it to you. Your joy will be a river overflowing its banks!

"I've used figures of speech in telling you these things. Soon I'll drop the figures and tell you about the Father in plain language. Then you can make your requests directly to him in relation to this life I've revealed to you. I won't continue making requests of the Father on your behalf. I won't need to. Because you've gone out on a limb, committed yourselves to love and trust in me, believing I came directly from the Father, the Father loves you directly. First, I left the Father and arrived in the world; now I leave the world and travel to the Father."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home