Saturday, April 15, 2006

CoHo’s Last Supper

Last Supper
Luke 22:13-16
Now the Festival of Unleavened Bread arrived, when the Passover lambs were sacrificed. Jesus sent Peter and John ahead and said, "Go and prepare the Passover meal, so we can eat it together." They went off to the city and they prepared the Passover supper there. Then at the proper time Jesus and the twelve apostles sat down together at the table. Jesus said, "I have looked forward to this hour with deep longing, anxious to eat this Passover meal with you before my suffering begins. For I tell you now that I won't eat it again until it comes to fulfillment in the Kingdom of God."

Remember the Passover
Exodus 3:7-9
Then the LORD told him, "You can be sure I have seen the misery of my people in Egypt. I have heard their cries for deliverance from their harsh slave drivers. Yes, I am aware of their suffering. So I have come to rescue them from the Egyptians and lead them out of Egypt into their own good and spacious land. The cries of the people of Israel have reached me.

Exodus 12:44
Any slave who has been purchased may eat it.

Anyone who has been set free by Jesus may come to the table. We eat the bread to remember the broken body of Jesus. Broken on the cross for each of us, and for so many others yet to awaken to that reality. We drink the juice to remember his shed blood to restore us to relationship with God & ultimately each other.

Luke 22:17-20
Jesus took a cup of wine, and when he had given thanks for it, he said, "Take this and share it among yourselves. For I will not drink wine again until the Kingdom of God has come." Then he took a loaf of bread; and when he had thanked God for it, he broke it in pieces and gave it to the disciples, saying, "This is my body, given for you. Do this in remembrance of me." After supper he took another cup of wine and said, "This wine is the token of God's new covenant to save you--an agreement sealed with the blood I will pour out for you.

God has been hearing the cries of his people for thousands of years. He has always mounted rescue attempts, but we vainly resisted them. In Jesus he has finally enabled the way, the truth and the life. Recieve it today...

"God weeps with us so that we may someday laugh with him." Jürgen Moltmann

As you come to receive these elements, bread & juice, physical materials, remember they are symbolic of deep spiritual realities that are not always seen. In taking them we recall the death of Jesus. We recall our contribution to that.

When Love Comes To Town by U2 has a line, “I was there when they crucified my Lord. I held the scabbard when the soldier drew his sword. I threw the dice when they pierced his side; But I've seen love conquer the great divide.”

You were there. I was there. To really experience that, to really feel that reality, you’ll have the opportunity to come up & pound a nail into the cross. You can visualize participating in the anguish of Jesus. Perhaps you want to write your name on a piece of paper & nail it- dieing to your self. Perhaps you want to write something you struggle with & want freedom from- come & nail it to the cross. Come now…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home