Saturday, June 21, 2008

Gentlemen, start your engines...

A couple of days back I had coffee with a friend & then we said our goodbyes & I was in my car when this friend of mine comes back to me & mentions something about driving that he's learning.

As soon as he says it, I hear, "A different agenda" whispered in the ear of my heart. I have chills knowing that God is laying a message on my heart. Moments earlier I had prayed that I & some others would be able to lay down our concerns and seek to see what God was actively doing in our midst. Here I was having that prayer answered & it blew me away.

All the way home (it was a long drive) I was mindful of what I had heard. It changed how I drove, and had a real sense that God was right there with me in the car - very peaceful and serene.

I needed to hear that message because of all the activities I'm engaged in driving most exposes my heart. I get in my car & I have one agenda: to get where I'm going as quickly as possible. That day it was different - I could choose to surrender my agenda while driving. It is slowly taking shape all the time I drive, too.

We all have habits, behaviors, addictions & facets of our personality where we say, "that's just the way I am." These things expose our heart & give us an opportunity to discover how to fully surrender to God.

God does have a sense of humor: to top it all off, our men's group study that night asked us to "Slow down in order to hear God!"

What agenda is driving you?

Zechariah 4:6,10
'Not by might nor by power, but by my Spirit,' says the LORD Almighty. "Who despises the day of small things? Men will rejoice when they see the plumb line in the hand of Zerubbabel."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home