Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Write Your Courage Story

Bravery and valor are arguably among the most important of character strengths. And they fall within the virtue cluster of courage. Ben Dean challenges us to examine our life and reflect on our own story of courage.

"The secret of life is this: When you hear the sound of the cannons, walk toward them."

"What's the most courageous thing you've ever done?"

Write a succinct one page story about the most courageous thing you've ever done. The time period could range from minutes to days or months to years. Be sure to share your story with a close friend or group of friends. Elements to include might be:
* The context,
* What you feared,
* Why it required your courage,
* What your experience felt and looked like (details are good)
* How you acted despite the fear,
* And be sure to give your story a clear, crisp ending.

"...too many of us have lived with the name "church" or the name "Christian," but not with deep passion as Christ's revolutionary community of faith and mission. Christianity has been little more than a belief system for us, not a way of life. It has been an institution, not a mission for our lives. It has made us nice people with confidence of heaven after this life, but not world-changing revolutionaries with hope for justice and peace in this life. It has given us the identity of religious people, not the identity of courageous rescue workers." Brian McLaren

Where is God asking you to be strong and courageous today?

Joshua 1:9
I command you--be strong and courageous!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interestingly the word courage comes from the french and latin word for heart. So living from the heart, straining against conformity and comfort, daring to love and daring to risk, standing for good in the face of evil, all come from the heart. For me, after battling alot of evil in my former life, one of the most courageous things I had to do was to listen to God's prompting on my heart and be able to face my giants and proclaim " I want change"

7:48 PM  
Blogger Stew Carson said...

Very well put Bob. The courage to change is one of the bravest acts we can undertake. Once we embark down that road God gives us the courage to teach others how to do it.

3:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where is God asking me to be strong & courageous? He asks me to give up what I hold dear to my heart. He asks me to be the kind of Mother who wont shrink away from doig the right thing because of fear. What did Mary feel when she watched her son being betrayed, tortured and killed? She was God's faithful servant, but what did she feel as a Mother?
I ask myself now, in my situation, What would Mary do? To lose a son to the world...knowing he is out there & not able to be with you, living a different life than you imagined for him, knowing he is at risk...all I can do is trust that God has a plan for him and that he will not be lost to the world. My courage is in facing my life everyday not knowing what that plan is, or what will become of my young son. My fear is that I may have failed in my role as a parent and not lived up to the responsibility that God placed in my hands.I pray that God keeps him close, draws him near, has good plans for him and helps me heal my broken heart.
Penny

7:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home