Saturday, December 10, 2005

Why Great Men (and others!) Fall

Wayde Goodall challenges us to "Ask yourself these questions as you build a protective fence around your life":

Do I feel a sense of entitlement? – "I deserve this because of who I am or what I do."

Am I a gifted entrepreneur, but my life is out of balance?

Do I have the ability to compartmentalize my moral choices?

Can I do something wrong and then mentally put it aside while I do something right?

Do I expect my employees and peers to keep quiet when I do questionable things?

Am I a "high risk" man who loves the adrenaline rush of danger or compromise?

Am I a magnet for women? Do they love my power, money, influence, and personality?

Is my integrity in check?

Am I surrounded with "yes men" with very little accountability?

Do I compromise my conscience?

Who is my mentor? Who am I a mentor to?

Do I play by my own rules? Do I have an ethical code?

Do I handle stress in a healthy way?

What do I do with my money? Integrity includes both my physical and my financial self.

Are my moods under control?

Have I found a balance with money, sex, and power?

People rarely mess up just in an instant or make a bad choice on a spur of the moment decision. Instead there is an evolution of thought over time that leads to the situation called 'a fall'. There are hints when behavior is looked back upon. Subtle 'speed bumps' give indication of a deteriorating process that has been underway for some time, maybe even years!

Life is full of hazards, temptations and situations where we can compromise. The freedom to choose is a gift but choice can also severely damage us.

What are you choosing today? Where are your thoughts taking you?

Tomorrow we'll look at planting and nurturing protective hedges around our key relationships, especially our marriage. These hedges are practical ways to avoid compromising situations and not giving temptation a foothold.


1 Corinthians 10:12-13
If you think you are standing strong, be careful, for you, too, may fall into the same sin.

But remember that the temptations that come into your life are no different from what others experience. And God is faithful. He will keep the temptation from becoming so strong that you can't stand up against it. When you are tempted, he will show you a way out so that you will not give in to it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home