Friday, August 08, 2008

Eternal life starts now...

Eternal life. Where is it? When is it? For a long time I have thought about eternal life as life after all my birthdays run out. For most of my years I have spoken about the eternal life as the ‘afterlife,’ as ‘life after death.’ But the older I become, the less interest my ‘afterlife’ holds for me. Worrying not only about tomorrow, next year, and the next decade, but even about the next life seems like a false preoccupation. Wondering how things will be better for me after I die seems, for the most part, a distraction. When my clear goal is the eternal life, that life must be reachable right now, where I am, because eternal life is life in and with God, and God is where I am here and now. Henri Nouwen

Philippians 1:21
For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home