Saturday, April 22, 2006

The Habit of Baby Steps

Who can ever forget Bill Murray in the movie What About Bob? uttering the famous line,

"Baby steps, get on the elevator...baby steps get on the elevator...Ah, I'm on the elevator."

[Elevator door shuts]. "Aaahhhhhhhhh!!!"

Bob does go on to conquer many of his fears, transforming his psychiatrist, played by Richard Dreyfuss, in the process. The basic notion is a good one: small efforts, concentrated in a helpful and hopeful direction will yield results over time.

Just like one of my kids favorite jokes, "How do you eat an elephant dad?"

"One bite at a time!"

With God’s grace, we will continue to take baby steps to see the dream of Christ formed in us and our community.

Galatians 4:19
My dear children, for whom I am again in the pains of childbirth until Christ is formed in you...

Jesus I yield myself to your work of change in my life. You who have began a new work inside of me will be faithful to complete it; help me to not resist your love. Give me the energy to begin the journey of a thousand miles with the first baby step today. Amen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home